Saturday, May 7, 2011

Trip #2 Hospital

So after our awesome trip camping, we come home and get a very sick O'lena. Come to find out...after a lot of poking, prodding, an enema, and an overnight stay in the hospital, we originally water intoxicated her. Meaning: we gave her too much water and not enough electrologists so she crashed. She became hyperglycemic and because of the enema (the dr originally thought it had something to do with her bowels...it's a long story) she became extremely dehydrated. It got pretty scary there for a minute because she was becoming unresponsive. In the end was got a bill and the advice "just give her some Gatorade." Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo when the pediatrician says "Oh they just need milk and water, they dont need any juice." I kind of classify Gatorade as juice!!! I wish they would have said..."Hey, you know they are like little athletes and need some electrolyte help once in a while." But some lessons you learn the hard way. By time we left she had received several bags of fluids, bag of sugar water, some antibiotics, and she was back to her normal self. Probably better because all her levels were up and regulated.

Here are some pictures of the whole ordeal. They gave her a teddy and blanket for comfort. The staff at The Children's Hospital were awesome! I have never had a better experience there. The chairs Derick and I slept in leave little to be talked about but everything else was great.
Daddy and O'lena watching Elmo. Daddy eating him M&Ms and O'lena eating her gold fish. Yeah, that would be the "comfortable" chair. Here she is in the heaven sent play room. By the morning of the next day she was feeling better enough to not be in the bed any more so they allowed us to go to the playroom. She was so excited to see all the toys she goes "oooooooooo...ooooooo..oooooooo!!!!"
Here she is riding in the wagon a bit before we got discharged. She got really bored towards the end and we walked her around a bit. She was having a good old time in it with her bear.
Yeah, I have decided that even though the staff was great, I don't like having my baby in the hospital. I remember walking around while laboring and seeing the baby beds that they have (the look like medal cages) and thinking to myself "I hope I never have to see my baby in there." I dont want to see it again. It was awful as I imagined it would be. Thank God I have an awesome mother and husband. I wouldn't been able to deal with out them. She get gatoraid now at least once every couple of days. Probably more than is necessary, but hey....

No comments: