Saturday, May 5, 2012

We have what?! Chickens?!

As most of you know, we have chickens. Crazy things happen when you are bored and not getting pregnant. You kind of end up with more animals. Well I have always wanted chickens and D wasn't opposed, so when my friends was like, "hey I have some chicks, do you know of anyone who wants some?" I was like "um, yes."
The three originals-

Sebastian checking them out. He left them alone...most of the time

Look Daddy! I got chicken!. I want chiiiiiiiiiikin.

Wait! I thought there were three!?!
The conversation went
Derick: "What do you mean I cant eat them?"
Whitney: "They are miniatures, there wont be enough meat."
D: "Will they lay eggs."
W: "Yes, but they will be mini too."
D: "Whitney, go to the store and get some chickens I can do something with."
W: "How many more do you think?"
D: "Three more should be fine. That would give us a half dozen."
CUT TO
D: "What do you mean they only sold them in groups of six?"
W: "Well, we have 9 now. We are going to need a chicken coupe."
D: "So now you need a coupe too!?!"
---I kind of paraphrased some :)
Weren't they so stinking cute!!! They dont look like that now.

The missionaries got a big kick out of them. Elder Armani keeps coming back to play with them.

So, it was right around Easter time when we got them so I HAD to bring them in and show O'lena's friends. I still get asked where are the chickens.

Their ugly pre-teen stage. They were getting too big for the cage.

Construction of the coupe.



Paint job to match the house

Free missionary labor

Doesn't it look awesome?!?!
So O'lena's favorite thing to do is chase the chickens around and catch them. You can see how big they got. They were about two months old there. They are big already. This was about a month ago.

She really likes being in there.


The whole set up.
I will have to post a more recipient picture of them for you. They look like real chickens now. We dont have eggs yet, but probably in a couple of months. I just started letting them run free (outside of the pinned in area, they get out of the coupe part in the morning) in the back yard. I let them out a couple of hours before their bed time, and by sun down they have waddled themselves all the way back into the coupe part all by themselves. And out of my 9 it looks like I only have one roster. That is really good since I had about 50/50 on 6 of the 9. He is funny. He is just now getting his crowing down. Derick is helping him practice. D gets up close to the cage and start clucking like a female and he gets all big and crows at him. It is quite funny. As of now, no neighbors have complained too. So we may not have to give him away after all.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Well, I'm glad to know that my desire for chickens lately is because I'm bored and not getting pregnant. That makes it easier to resist! :) Also, our neighbors would DEFINITELY complain. *sigh*